Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Sarah's Cancer Update: August 22

What a whirlwind since Saturday. The appointment with my Oncologist was earlier today. Here is a recap, our treatment plan and specific requests.

90% of cervical cancer is found on the cells of the surface of the cervix and is routinely caught early through pap testing. This type can usually be handled through outpatient procedures and more non-invasive approaches since it is typically caught early.

Unfortunately, mine is not this type. I have Adenocarcinoma Cervical which is found in the inner glands of the cervix and is very hard to find in routine pap testing. This means it is typically at a more advanced stage when it is finally found.

My cancer is currently being staged as 1B1, which means that it is visible through examination, but we're not sure if it has spread to other areas or lymph nodes. This stage could change once the additional tests are received.

To find out if it has spread to other areas of my body,  I am scheduled for a PET scan on Wednesday, August 29th. We are very specifically praying that cancer is NOT detected anywhere else in my body.

I am currently scheduled for a "radical hysterectomy" on Thursday, August 30th at Community North. This procedure is considered "radical" as it will remove all female reproductive organs as well as the surrounding tissues and lymph nodes. The Oncologist is aiming to create "good margins" for the cancer to be completely removed. From this, the removed items & lymph nodes will be sent to pathology for further examination and evaluation. 

If the PET scan from Wednesday reveals that the cancer has already progressed to other areas of my body, then the surgery will be cancelled and radiation and/or chemotherapy will be started immediately and then the surgery will follow later. 

If after the surgery the cancer is found to be still present in the pathology testing, radiation and/or chemotherapy will then be necessary.

The recovery from the surgery will vary greatly depending on if they are able to use the da Vinci robotic surgery method which is laparoscopic. If so, then hopefully it will only be 2 weeks of major recovery, no driving, no work, etc. With 8 weeks of taking it very easy. If they have to do a traditional abdominal surgery, the recovery will most likely 6 weeks, no driving, work, etc. and weeks more of taking it easy. Because of the extent of the cancer, there will be other caveats of healing that will require more "down time" post-op. 

I am so incredibly grateful for the emails, texts, calls, cards, and messages that have shown so much love and support. It feels like a bomb went off in our life this week, and we are slowly starting to find our way around the wreckage. 

Please continue to reach out, it means so much to me, and I will do my very best to respond. But right now, I am soaking up every minute of time with my Marilyn, Spencer & Hunter before I am in full surgery/recovery mode.

I am a seasoned caretaker, God has blessed me with two children with unique medical needs. Through my years of hospital visits, doctor appointments and medical motherhood, I have found I am most comfortable when I know I have an army of prayer/support warriors right beside us. 

So here are my specific prayer, positive vibes, thought requests:
  • PET scan to show no signs of cancer outside of reproductive organs.
  • Surgery to be completed via least invasive approach with fastest healing time and no complications.
  • Pathology to confirm that all cancer has been removed and all margins & lymph nodes are cancer free.
  • Marilyn, Spencer, Hunter and my entire family to feel God's comforting presence and peace as we make this journey.
  • Ability for me to relax, put myself and my healing first and know that my tribe of support will be there for my family as we move through this.
I will update as we know more.
Hugs, 
Sarah 

5 comments:

  1. Sarah- thank you for this update- we are praying for you and know that you are strong and will beat this. Hugs. Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah you do have an army of prayer warriors right beside you. I will pray for you daily. You will beat this. Stay strong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah you have our prayers from Iowa. Praying for a good Pet scan. Praying for your continued strength. You are strong & you will kick cancer's a..... Hugs to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete

Passing Chemo

Today I met with our Chemo Oncologists and I've officially passed chemo! My next appointment on that floor will be in late February...