Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Passing Chemo




Today I met with our Chemo Oncologists and I've officially passed chemo! My next appointment on that floor will be in late February! This is huge news! No more infusions, no more PICC line and no more daily/weekly treks to the cancer center! I am so excited.

To treat myself, I took a long, hot shower with both arms! I was unable to get my PICC line wet, which meant quick one-armed showers. I'm living the high life now!

A few of my levels were still low, so they've ordered more meds and said I will be on these for about 6 months. They reiterated the need to pace myself and reminded me this is a marathon not a sprint. And that the chemo drugs remain in the body for quite some time. They even said I may feel like this come my next appointment in February and to prepare myself for the reality of long, long-term life changes.

While I have "heard" them before, I have not been truly internalizing the importance of pacing myself. However, I went in to my office on Monday, spent 5 hours there and was unable to even move the rest of the night... now I get it. Do too much, do nothing.

My mom has suggested setting timers to remind myself to rest and to have others around me remind me too. Yesterday I did better so I am trying to learn from my challenges.

My kiddos were so happy that I am PICC line free. My right arm is where they cuddle up, and they are so happy to be able to do so again. It was a very visual reminder of the cancer, and I am glad it is now gone.

My next PET scan is ordered for late February, and then I will meet with the Oncologists one week later to hear the update. In the meantime, I am in cancer limbo... done with my treatments but not officially in remission.

I am going to use the next three months to find my "new normal" and let my body recover, heal and get even stronger. I am eager to hear the words "cancer free" and am going to do everything in my power to let my body heal.

Keep the prayers and good vibes coming. Most specifically, the ability for me to rest, recover and heal and for the cancer to be gone for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Passing Chemo

Today I met with our Chemo Oncologists and I've officially passed chemo! My next appointment on that floor will be in late February...